232. Every bicycle must carry
(1) one white reflector at the front;
(2) one red reflector at the rear;
(3) one amber or white reflector on each pedal;
(4) on the front wheel, an amber or white reflector attached to the spokes and visible on both sides of the bicycle, an amber or white reflective strip attached to each side of the fork, a tire with reflective sidewalls or a rim with a continuous reflective strip around the entire circumference of the wheel on both sides; and
(5) on the back wheel, a red or white reflector attached to the spokes and visible on both sides of the bicycle, a red or white reflective strip on each seat stay, a tire with reflective sidewalls, or a rim with a continuous reflective strip around the entire circumference of the wheel on both sides.
Despite the first paragraph, a bicycle need not carry the reflector required under subparagraph 3 of that paragraph if the cyclist wears a reflective band around each ankle or shoes with reflective strips.
Any equipment or object placed on a bicycle that blocks a prescribed reflector or its substitute must carry a reflector or a reflective strip.
A trailer towed by a bicycle must carry two red reflectors at the rear, as far apart as practicable, or a red reflective strip placed as close to horizontal as possible across the width of the trailer.
1986, c. 91, s. 232; 2010, c. 34, s. 45; 2018, c. 7, s. 431.