57. (1) Upon receipt of a petition by a municipality or a regional county municipality that has affirmed its jurisdiction with respect to the management of social housing, the Lieutenant-Governor may issue, on such conditions as are therein set out, letters patent under the Great Seal of Québec constituting a municipal housing bureau or a regional housing bureau for the purpose of providing mainly residential dwellings to persons or families of low or moderate income.
The petition shall mention the name of the bureau, the location of its head office, the powers, rights and privileges which it shall enjoy, the rules for the exercise of its powers and the appointment of its directors and officers; the name of the bureau shall indicate, in the case of a petition presented by a local municipality, that it is a municipal housing bureau or, in the case of a petition presented by a regional county municipality, that it is a regional housing bureau.
(2) Notice of the issuing of such letters patent shall be published in the Gazette officielle du Québec.
(3) A bureau so constituted shall have, among other powers, those of a legal person constituted by letters patent under the Great Seal of Québec and shall be an agent of the municipality which applied for its constitution; no acquisition, lease or alienation of an immovable and no loan may be transacted unless the bureau has previously been authorized to do so by the Société.
(3.1) A bureau so constituted may also
(a) acquire, construct and renovate residential immovables under a housing program implemented under this Act by the Société or municipality;
(b) administer any housing program the management of which is entrusted to it by the Société or the municipality;
(c) administer the residential immovables the provisional administration of which is entrusted to the Minister of Revenue;
(d) administer the residential immovables belonging to the Société or a non-profit organization the management of which is entrusted to the bureau pursuant to an agreement entered into with the Société or the organization;
(e) implement any activity of a social or community nature that fosters the well-being of its clientele; and
(f) with the authorization of the Société, enter into an agreement with a housing agency within the meaning of section 85.1 to provide the housing agency with certain services.
(4) A bureau so constituted may, by agreement with a municipality other than that of which it is the agent, exercise its powers on behalf of such other municipality; such an agreement shall not be valid unless approved by the municipality of which the bureau is the agent and by the Société.
(5) Upon petition by a bureau constituted under this section, the Lieutenant-Governor, by supplementary letters patent, may amend the objects and powers of such bureau and the rules established for the exercise thereof and change its name or the location of its head office in Québec. Notice of such supplementary letters patent shall then be published in the Gazette officielle du Québec.
(6) Upon the petition of a bureau constituted under this section, the Minister may declare it dissolved on such conditions as he determines and such dissolution shall not take effect until the sixtieth day following the publication of a notice to that effect in the Gazette officielle du Québec.