149.5. The object of the Corporation, subject to the powers conferred on any regional council and any establishment, is to organize and coordinate, in its territory, a pre-hospitalization emergency system including ambulance services to facilitate access to health services. For that purpose, the Corporation shall exercise the following functions:
(1) take part in concerted action with the different persons and bodies involved in matters of ambulance services;
(2) operate an ambulance service and a medical emergency intervention service;
(3) receive, from persons and establishments, calls requesting ambulance services and take appropriate action;
(4) devise and implement a communication system to monitor on a day-to-day basis the situation prevailing in the emergency services of the establishments with respect to the number of transfers and transports by ambulance and inform the regional council of its territory;
(5) authorize the transport of a person to another establishment where the establishment initially selected is overcrowded, after seeing to it that all prescribed procedures have been complied with;
(6) ensure that the staff assigned to the services which constitute the pre-hospitalization emergency system are properly qualified and provide proper services.
The establishments referred to in subparagraphs 4 and 5 of the first paragraph are the public establishments and private establishments referred to in sections 176 and 177.