116. The returning officer may appoint the number of persons he considers necessary for each filing office to perform the following duties:
(1) receive and assist any person wishing to make an application for entry, striking off or correction;
(2) ascertain the nature of the application;
(3) receive the application and put it in writing;
(4) administer to the person filing the application the oath required by law;
(5) give a copy of the application to the applicant.
The person appointed to act in a filing office may require proof from a person applying to have his name entered on the list that he meets the requirement as to domicile, ownership of an immovable or occupancy of a place of business, as the case may be, and proof of his designation by the co-owners or co-occupants, where that is the case.
The returning officer may perform the duties of a person appointed to act in a filing office.