6. Unless the context indicates or declares otherwise, the following expressions, terms and words, whenever the same occur in this Act or in the charter, shall have the following meaning:
(1) The word “charter” means any Act of the Legislature or any letters patent, as the case may be, incorporating a city or town municipality;
(2) The word “district” means any judicial district established by law, and more particularly the district in which the city or town is situated;
(3) The expression “election officer” means the returning officer and election clerk and every deputy returning officer and poll clerk appointed for an election;
(4) The words “member of the council” mean and include the mayor or any of the councillors of the city or town;
(5) The word “sitting” , used alone, means indifferently an ordinary or general sitting, or a special sitting of the council;
(6) The expression “the day following” does not mean or include holidays unless the act in question may be done upon a holiday;
(7) The expression “ratepayer” means any person liable to pay to the municipality any assessment or tax, including water-rate;
(8) The word “property-owner” means any person who possesses immoveable property in his own name as owner, as usufructuary, or as institute in cases of substitutions, or as possessor of lands in the public domain with a promise of sale;
(9) The word “occupant” means any person who occupies an immoveable in his own name, otherwise than as proprietor, usufructuary or institute, and who enjoys the revenues derived from such immoveable;
(10) The word “tenant” means any person who is bound to pay rent in money or to give part of the fruits or revenues of the immoveable which he occupies, and who is a resident householder, saving the case of the lessee of a store, shop, office or place of business;
(11) The word “ward” , when it relates to a municipality not divided into wards but whereof the seats of the councillors have been numbered under section 33, shall be interpreted as designating the number of the seat for which one or more candidates are nominated or for which a councillor has been elected;
(12) The expression “officer or employee of the municipality” means any officer or employee of the municipality, with the exception of members of the Council.
(13) The expression “standardized assessment” means the product obtained by multiplying each value entered on the assessment roll of a municipality by the factor established for that roll by the Minister of Municipal Affairs under the Act respecting municipal taxation (chapter F-2.1).