4. The functions of the returning officer are, in particular
(1) to arrange the polling station;
(2) to ensure peace and good order during the ballot;
(3) to ensure the exercise of the right to vote and to aid in maintaining the secrecy of the voting;
(4) to see to it that only the authorized persons are present in the polling station;
(5) to take care of the ballot box throughout the voting, and to bring in the box to the person in charge of counting the ballots at the end of the last voting day.
The returning officer may require the expulsion of anyone who disturbs the voting.
Decision CCQ-972200, s. 4.