Section 212 of this Act, as replaced by section 100 of chapter 51 of the statutes of 2006, applies from the school year 2008-2009 (2006, c. 51, s. 105).
Section 212 will then read as follows:
“212. Subject to any policy directions the Minister may establish and after holding a public consultation and consulting the parents’ committee, the school board shall adopt a policy on
(1) the continued operation or closure of schools; and
(2) changes to the level of instruction provided by a school, or to cycles or parts of cycles of the level of instruction, and on the cessation of preschool education services provided by a school.
The policy must include a public consultation process, to take place prior to any change, that must provide for
(1) the consultation timetable;
(2) the manner in which the public, and more particularly the parents and the students of full age concerned, are to be informed, including the place where relevant information on the project, particularly its budgetary and educational impact, may be consulted by any person interested, and the place where additional information may be obtained;
(3) at least one public consultation meeting and the related procedure; and
(4) the presence at the consultation meetings of the chairman of the school board and the commissioner of the electoral division concerned.
The policy must also specify that the public consultation process must start with a public notice of the consultation meeting, to be issued
(1) not later than 1 July of the year preceding the year during which the school would be closed; or
(2) not later than 1 April of the year preceding the year during which a change under subparagraph 2 of the first paragraph would be made.”