1. In this Act, unless the context requires otherwise,
(0.1) “agricultural activities” means the practice of agriculture, including the practice of allowing land to lie fallow, the storage and use, on a farm, of chemical, organic or mineral products and of farm machinery and equipment for agricultural purposes.
Where carried out by a producer on his farm with respect to farm products from his operation or, secondarily, from the operations of other producers, activities relating to the storage, packaging, processing and sale of farm products are considered to be agricultural activities;
(1) “agriculture” means the cultivation of the soil and plants, leaving land uncropped or using it for forestry purposes, or the raising of livestock, and, for these purposes, the making, construction or utilization of works, structures or buildings, except immovables used for residential purposes;
(2) “reserved area” means that part of the territory of a municipality described in a provisional plan in accordance with section 34;
(3) “alienation” means any conveyance or any declaratory act of ownership of property, including sale with a right of redemption, emphyteusis, alienation for rent, declaration of contribution to a partnership, partition, transfer of a right of superficies, transfer of a right contemplated in section 8 of the Mining Act (chapter M-13.1) and transfer of timber limits under the Lands and Forests Act (chapter T-9), except
(a) transmission owing to death;
(b) forced sale within the meaning of the Civil Code, including sale for unpaid taxes, redemption and any conveyance resulting from the Expropriation Act (chapter E-24);
(c) the effect of a taking in payment, to the extent that the creditor becomes the owner of the whole lot or all the lots subject to the hypothec;
(3.1) “certified association” means the certified association within the meaning of the Farm Producers Act (chapter P-28);
(4) “public road” means a road opened in conformity with section 422 of the Cities and Towns Act (chapter C-19), a street or road opened pursuant to a municipal by-law, resolution or procès-verbal or a highway managed by the Minister of Transport pursuant to the Act respecting roads (chapter V-9) provided that bordering proprietors have a right of access to that highway;
(5) “community” means the Communauté urbaine de Québec, the Communauté urbaine de Montréal or the Communauté urbaine de l’Outaouais;
(6) (paragraph repealed);
(7) “sugar bush” means a forest stand, covering an area of at least four hectares, suitable for the production of maple syrup;
(7.1) “appropriate available area” means a vacant area of land on which the intended use is allowed by the applicable municipal zoning by-law and by the interim control measures, if any;
(8) “lot” means a parcel of land immatriculated on a cadastral plan, a parcel of land described by metes and bounds in transfer instruments or acts declaratory of ownership or any residual part after separation from the parcels of land described by metes and bounds in transfer instruments and the immatriculated parts;
(9) “subdivide” means to effect a subdivision;
(10) “subdivision” means the parcelling out of a lot by means of a deed of alienation of part of that lot;
(11) “Minister” means the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food;
(12) “public agency” means a school board or an agency to which the Government or a minister appoints the majority of the members, to which, by law, the personnel is appointed and remunerated in accordance with the Public Service Act (chapter F-3.1.1), or more than half of whose capital stock is derived from the consolidated revenue fund;
(13) “provisional plan” means the plan, accompanied, as the case may be, with a technical description, describing the reserved area in the territory of a municipality in accordance with section 34;
(13.1) “producer” means a person within the meaning of paragraph j of section 1 of the Farm Producers Act (chapter P-28);
(14) “designated agricultural region” means the aggregate of the territories of the local municipalities contemplated by a decree passed in virtue of section 22, or contemplated in section 25;
(15) “regulation” means a regulation made by the Government pursuant to this Act;
(16) “topsoil” means soil having the properties that make it suitable for plant growth;
(17) “agricultural zone” means that part of the territory of a local municipality described in the plan and technical description prepared and adopted in accordance with sections 49 and 50.
A forest stand identified by the letters ER, ERFI, ERFT, ERBB, ERBJ or ERO on the forest inventory maps drawn up by the Ministère des Ressources naturelles is presumed to be suitable for the production of maple syrup within the meaning of this Act.
For the purposes of this Act, “regional county municipality” includes Ville de Laval and Ville de Mirabel.