8. The Government shall determine, by regulation, the method for determining the family allowance. The regulation may, in particular,
(1) provide for the amount of an allowance to be based, among other factors, on the spousal status of the person entitled to receive the allowance, the income of the person and the person’s spouse, and the rank and number of the dependent children;
(2) determine the method for determining income under subparagraph 1;
(3) determine the reference period during which the spousal status of the person entitled to receive the allowance is to be taken into consideration in fixing the amount of the allowance, and the changes in a person’s spousal status that give rise to a review of the amount of the allowance during that period;
(4) fix the amount below which the Board is not required to pay an allowance.
A regulation under subparagraph 1 of the first paragraph may have effect from any date occurring not more than six months before the date of its coming into force.