96.15. The principal is responsible for approving, on the proposal of the teachers or, in the case of matters referred to in subparagraphs 5 and 6, of the members of the staff concerned,
(1) in accordance with the policies determined by the governing board, the local programs of studies developed to meet the special needs of students;
(2) the criteria for the introduction of new instructional methods;
(3) in accordance with this Act and in keeping with the school budget, the textbooks and instructional material required for the teaching of programs of studies;
(4) the standards and procedures for the evaluation of student achievement, in particular, how parents are to be informed of the academic progress of their children, in keeping with the prescriptions of the basic school regulation and subject to the examinations that may be imposed by the Minister or the school service centre;
(5) the rules governing the placement of students and their promotion from one cycle to the other at the elementary level, subject to the rules prescribed by the basic school regulation;
(6) the measures selected to achieve the objectives and targets set out in the educational project.
Before approving the proposals under subparagraph 3 of the first paragraph and the proposals relating to how parents are to be informed of the academic progress of their children under subparagraph 4 of the first paragraph, the principal must consult with the governing board.
The proposals of the teachers or the staff members under this section shall be made according to the procedure determined by the teachers or the staff members at general meetings called for that purpose by the principal or, failing that, according to the procedure determined by the principal.
A proposal of the teachers or the staff members concerning a subject referred to in this section must be made within 30 days after the proposal is requested by the principal, failing which the principal may act without such proposal.
If the principal does not approve a proposal of the teachers or the staff members, the principal shall give reasons, in writing, for the decision.
1997, c. 96, s. 13; 2006, c. 51, s. 90; 2016, c. 26, s. 1111; 2020, c. 1, s. 3211.