21. To obtain the registration of a road vehicle and the right to put the vehicle into operation on a public highway, a private road open to public vehicular traffic and on land occupied by shopping centres or other land where public traffic is allowed, the owner of the vehicle must
(1) comply with the conditions and formalities established by regulation;
(2) (subparagraph repealed);
(3) pay the fees fixed by regulation, the duties fixed by regulation and revalorized, where applicable, in accordance with section 151.4 of the Automobile Insurance Act (chapter A-25), the insurance contribution fixed pursuant to sections 151.1 and 151.2 of that Act and, where applicable, the contribution of motorists to public transit fixed pursuant to section 88.3 of the Transport Act (chapter T-12); (4) have the prior authorization of the Commission des transports du Québec, in the cases provided for in sections 35 and 40.2 of the Transport Act or in the second paragraph of section 82 of the Act respecting transportation services by taxi (chapter S-6.01);
(5) in respect of a road vehicle belonging to the class determined by regulation which is seven years old or less and whose value exceeds $40,000, pay, according to the calculation methods established by regulation, an additional duty which, computed on an annual basis, is equal to 1% of the value of the vehicle in excess of $40,000;
(6) in respect of a road vehicle belonging to a class determined by regulation, equipped with an engine with a displacement determined by regulation, pay an additional duty determined by regulation.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Société may, without further notice, prohibit such an owner from putting his vehicle into operation if he does not pay the sums referred to in paragraph 3 of the first paragraph or if he is indebted to the Société with regard to the sums referred to in section 31.1 in relation to any vehicle belonging to him or any sums referred to in either of section 69, 93.1 or 209.22.
No person may put a road vehicle into operation before the sums referred to in the second paragraph have been paid by the owner or, in the case of a heavy vehicle, before the owner or operator is registered in the Registre des propriétaires et des exploitants de véhicules lourds at the Commission des transports du Québec.
No person shall put a road vehicle into operation if a decision of the Société rendered under section 194 is in force.
No person shall put a vehicle into operation on a public highway if it is of a model or class whose use on public highways has been prohibited by the Minister under section 633.1 or if it has been restricted to off-highway use by its manufacturer or importer.
1986, c. 91, s. 21; 1987, c. 94, s. 4; 1990, c. 19, s. 11; 1991, c. 32, s. 165; 1990, c. 83, s. 9; 1991, c. 55, s. 8; 1993, c. 57, s. 5; 1996, c. 56, s. 5; 1997, c. 85, s. 13; 1998, c. 40, s. 56; 1999, c. 66, s. 1; 2001, c. 15, s. 128; 2003, c. 5, s. 1; 2004, c. 34, s. 22; 2004, c. 35, s. 40; 2007, c. 40, s. 3.