18. (1) The petition shall be transmitted to the Minister of Municipal Affairs; it must be accompanied by a certificate of the secretary-treasurer attesting the approval of the resolution in accordance with subsection 3 of section 16.
(2) The Commission municipale du Québec shall, if the Minister so requires, hold a public inquiry as to the expediency of granting the application for incorporation as a city or town.
(3) If the Government is of opinion that it is expedient to grant the application for incorporation as a city or town, it shall grant the letters patent required for such purpose.
(4) The Government may, if it deem it expedient, give to the municipality a different name from that chosen by the council.
(5) Notice of the granting of the letters patent shall be given by the Minister of Municipal Affairs by publishing the same in the Gazette officielle du Québec. From and after such publication, the municipality shall become a city or a town governed by this act.
(6) At any time after the incorporation of a city or town by letters patent or otherwise, the Government may, upon petition of the council, grant letters patent to change the number of wards, the total number of the councillors or the number of councillors per ward.
That petition shall not be sent to the Government unless a notice briefly summarizing the object thereof and stating that any person may, within thirty days after the notice, send in writing to the Minister his objection to the petition, has been published at least one month beforehand in the Gazette officielle du Québec; a similar notice shall also be given, within the same delay, in conformity with section 345.
The letters patent granted under this subsection shall be published in conformity with subsection 5.