58. Public signs and posters and commercial advertising, outside or intended for the public outside, shall be solely in French.
Similarly, public signs and posters and commercial advertising shall be solely in French
(1) inside commercial centres and their access ways, except inside the establishments located there;
(2) inside any public means of transport and its access ways;
(3) inside the establishments of business firms contemplated in section 136;
(4) inside the establishments of business firms employing fewer than fifty but more than five persons, where such firms share, with two or more other business firms, the use of a trademark, a firm name or an appellation by which they are known to the public.
The Government may, however, by regulation, prescribe the terms and conditions according to which public signs and posters and public advertising may be both in French and in another language, under the conditions set forth in the second paragraph of section 58.1, inside the establishments of business firms contemplated in subparagraphs 3 and 4 of the second paragraph.
The Government may, in such regulation, establish categories of business firms, prescribe terms and conditions which vary according to the category and reinforce the conditions set forth in the second paragraph of section 58.1.
1977, c. 5, s. 58; 1983, c. 56, s. 12; 1988, c. 54, s. 1.