116. The council may exercise the following powers only on the advice of the public safety committee:
(1) the power to determine the objectives of the police department;
(2) the power to determine the number of police officers and of officers and employees in the department;
(3) the power to determine the hiring standards applicable to the personnel of the department; and
(4) the power to determine the conditions of employment applicable to the members of the personnel of the department who are not employees within the meaning of the Labour Code (chapter C‐27), and to establish their retirement plan, pension plan or pension fund.
In addition, the council must have the budget of the police department, examined by the public safety committee.
2000, c. 56, Sch. I, s. 116; O.C. 1308-2001, s. 13.