19. Fire safety measures for high buildings: The following buildings shall comply with Subdivision 3.2.6 of the Building Code (R.R.Q., 1981, c. S-3, r. 2): (1) a public building, except for those described in paragraph 2 whose height exceeds:
(a) 36.6 m, measured between grade and the floor level of the top storey; or
(b) 18.3 m, measured between grade and the floor level of the top storey, and in which the cumulative occupant load, on the storeys above grade, divided by the number of 550 mm units of exit width in all exit stairs at ground level exceeds 300 persons;
(2) sleeping accommodations situated 18.3 m or more above grade.
However, the following requirements do not apply:
(1) a firefighters’ elevator, for an apartment building in which Measure M, prescribed in “Measures for Fire Safety in High Buildings”, NRCC No. 13366 (1973), is applied:
(2) a central alarm and control facility, for an apartment building not more than 36.6 m in height;
(3) a voice communication system, for a building in which Measure C, E, G or J is applied, as prescribed in the publication referred to in paragraph 1; and
(4) sprinklers, for all buildings except those in which Measure A is applied, as prescribed in the publication referred to in paragraph 1.
For the purposes of this section, “grade” means the lowest of the average levels of finished ground adjoining each exterior wall of a building.
R.R.Q., 1981, c. S-3, r. 4, s. 19; O.C. 88-91, s. 18.