22.214.171.124.2. Overload protection device:
(1) Any mobile crane used for hoisting loads must be equipped with one of the following overload protection devices: a rated capacity limiter, a load moment system or a load indicating device. Depending on the date on which the crane was manufactured, the load indicating device must be installed not later than:
Date on which the crane Final date on which the load indicating
was manufactured device must be installed
From 1 January 1980 to 31 December 2005
31 December 2004
From 1 January 1975 to 31 December 2010.
31 December 1979
(2) Any mobile crane manufactured on or after 1 January 2005 must be equipped with a load indicating device or a load moment system. The devices must be of the fail-safe design.
(3) Load indicating devices and load moment systems may be equipped with a function allowing them to be bypassed.
(4) Load indicating devices must comply with Standard SAEJ376 APR85 Load Indicating Devices on Lifting Crane Service.
(5) Rated capacity limiters and load moment systems must comply with Standard SAEJ159 APR94 Load Moment System.
(6) This section does not apply to a cable mobile crane equipped with a shovel, a dragging bucket, a clamshell bucket or a pile hammer and that is used for purposes other than the hoisting of loads and to a cable mobile crane that is used to carry out the following foundation work, including all handling work required to that end: pile driving, installation of drilled or excavated caissons, installation of sheet-piling, setting up of shoring devices, below-grade work, drilling of tie rods or anchors and ground improvement techniques such as dynamic compacting and vibroflotation.
(7) In this section,
“load indicating device” means a device that measures and displays to the crane operator’s sight the weight of the load hoisted by the crane; (dispositif indicateur de charge)
“load moment system” means a device that gathers information relating to the load hoisted by the crane and that transmits signals warning the operator that the crane is nearing its limiting conditions; (contrôleur d’état de charge)
“rated capacity limiter” means a system that prevents a crane from hoisting and moving a load higher than its limiting conditions and that consists of a load moment system and a device acting on the movements of the crane so that they do not exceed the load rating chart of the crane. (dispositif limitateur de charge)