6.6. An emitter referred to in section 2 of the Regulation respecting a cap-and-trade system for greenhouse gas emission allowances (chapter Q-2, r. 46.1) who, in accordance with section 6.2, reports annual greenhouse gas emissions equal to or greater than 25,000 metric tons CO2 equivalent, excluding emissions referred to in the second paragraph, must, not later than 1 June, send to the Minister a verification report on the emissions report, carried out by an organization accredited to ISO 14065, by a member of the International Accreditation Forum and in compliance with an ISO-17011 program, for the emitter’s sector of activity.
For the purposes of the verification threshold referred to in the first paragraph, the following emissions are excluded and do not need to be verified:
(1) CO2 emissions attributable to the combustion or use of biomass and biomass fuels;
(2) CH4 emissions attributable to coal storage and referred to in QC.5.3 in Schedule A.2;
(3) CO2, CH4 and N2O emissions attributable to mobile equipment on the site of an establishment and referred to in QC.27 in Schedule A.2;
(3.1) CO2, CH4 and N2O emissions attributable to pulp and paper mill residual materials landfill;
(4) until 31 December 2014, CH4 emissions attributable to petroleum refinery operations and referred to in QC.9.3.6, QC.9.3.9 and QC.9.3.12 in Schedule A.2;
(5) until 31 December 2014, CH4 and N2O emissions attributable to the anaerobic treatment of wastewater, including those and referred to in Schedule A.2, specifically in QC.9.3.7 in the case of a petroleum refinery, QC.10.2.7 in the case of a pulp and paper plant, and QC.12.3.7 in the case of petrochemical product manufacturing;
(6) until 31 December 2014, CO2, CH4 and N2O emissions attributable to the transmission and distribution of natural gas and referred to in QC.29.3.1, QC.29.3.2, QC.29.3.7, QC.29.3.8, QC.29.3.9 and QC.29.3.11 in Schedule A.2;
(7) until 31 December 2014, CO2, CH4 and N2O emissions attributable to oil and gas exploration and production and natural gas processing, as referred to in QC.33.3.1, QC.33.3.2, QC.33.3.8, QC.33.3.16, QC.33.3.17 and QC.33.3.20 in Schedule A.2.
The emitter must have the annual report verified by a verifying organization and a verifier designated by that organization that
(1) this organization and this verifier have not acted as consultants for the emitter for the quantification or greenhouse gas emissions report or have not provided a service referred to in subparagraph 3 of the first paragraph of section 6.10 during the 3 preceding years;
(2) this organization and this verifier have not verified more than 6 of the emitter’s consecutive annual reports since the 2012 emissions report; and
(3) where the emitter wishes to have the verification of the annual report done by a verifying organization or verifier other than the organization or verifier that verified the report the preceding year, the verifying organization or verifier must not have verified the emissions report for that establishment during the 3 previous years.
An emitter must have the emitter’s annual report verified until such time as the emitter’s greenhouse gas emissions fall below the verification threshold provided for in the first paragraph for 4 consecutive years.
Despite the first paragraph, the verification report on the emissions report for 2012 may be sent to the Minister not later than 1 September 2013.
Despite the first paragraph, the verification report on the emissions report for 2012 or 2013 may be made by a verification organization in the process of being accredited so long as this organization receives its accreditation not later than 31 December of the year in which the emitter’s verification report is sent.
If the organization fails to receive its accreditation within the time period specified in the fourth paragraph, the emitter must, not later than 1 April following the end of that period, send to the Minister a new verification report of its emissions report made by an organization accredited in accordance with the first paragraph.
M.O. 2010-12-06, s. 8; M.O. 2011-12-16, s. 7; M.O. 2012-09-05, s. 5; M.O. 2012-12-11, s. 11.