38. The Public Protector must award contracts involving an expenditure below the public tender threshold described in section 7 in accordance with the principles set out in this Regulation, particularly those stated in section 2.
To ensure the sound management of such contracts, the Public Protector must, among other means, consider whether they should:
(1) make a public call for tenders or issue an invitation to tender;
(2) use a rotation system among the tenderers or contractors they deal with, or seek new tenderers or contractors;
(3) include provisions to control the amount of such contracts and of any related additional expenditure, especially in the case of contracts by mutual agreement, in compliance with section 39; or
(4) set up a monitoring mechanism to ascertain the effectiveness and efficiency of the contracting process used for contracts involving an expenditure below the public tender threshold specified in section 7.