44. A semi-trailer longer than 15.5 m without exceeding 16.2 m, as well as the last semi-trailer, manufactured after 16 June 1997, in a type B double train measuring more than 23 m in length without exceeding 25 m, and trailers or semi-trailers whose gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 4,536 kg or more and manufactured since 23 September 2005 shall have bumpers that are
(1) composed of a rigid beam installed horizontally and securely mounted to the trailer so as to prevent road vehicles from slipping under the trailer;
(2) extend no more than 0.1 m inside each side of the trailer;
(3) located no more than 0.3 m from the rear of the trailer and as close as possible to the rear; and
(4) located no more than 0.56 m above the ground.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, a bumper is not compulsory if the distance between the tires on the rear axle and the rear end of the semi-trailer is less than 0.3 m, or if the height of the bottom of the structure at the rear of the semi-trailer is less than 0.56 m above the ground.
O.C. 1483-98, s. 44; O.C. 370-2016, s. 271.