16. Subject to the third paragraph, bulk cargo in a dump truck, container or other type of container whose upper part is totally or partially open must be restrained by a covering system consisting of a tarpaulin, canvas or other type of equivalent covering.
The covering system must cover at least any portion of the load that extends beyond a reference point 15 cm below the top of the lowest wall. It must remain in direct contact with any portion of the load that extends beyond the nearest wall, unless the covering system is maintained above the load by bows secured to the vehicle. It must be exempt from tears or other damage in the section used for securement.
The first and second paragraphs do not apply if
(1) the vehicle is proceeding across a public highway from a private road;
(2) the top of the load does not extend beyond the reference point referred to in the second paragraph;
(3) the load extending beyond the reference point referred to in the second paragraph consists only of elements exceeding 40 mm in 3 dimensions and the 3 perimeters of the load do not extend beyond the top of the lowest wall;
(4) the vehicle is applying salt, sand, a mixture of salt and sand or other similar substance in connection with winter road maintenance;
(5) the vehicle is applying dust suppressants on a road; or
(6) the vehicle is transporting snow, ice or other similar substance collected during a snow removal operation.