B-1.1, r. 3 - Safety Code
355. The smoke alarms required under paragraphs 3 to 5 of section 353 must
(1) be installed by permanent connections to an electrical circuit and have no disconnect switch between the overcurrent device and the smoke alarm;
(2) be wired so that the activation of one alarm will automatically cause all alarms within the dwelling unit to sound; and
(3) be wired so that the activation of one alarm in a building housing a residential occupancy for the elderly of the rooming house type will automatically cause all the alarms to sound.
In addition, the smoke alarms required under paragraph 4 of section 353 must
(1) be of a photoelectric type;
(2) be interconnected and connected to visual signal devices that allow the personnel assigned to the sleeping rooms to see from where the smoke alarm is triggered, and
(3) be connected to the fire department as provided for in NBC 1995 am. Québec.